Friday, July 20, 2012

How to make your own curtains

I needed some curtains for my little girls room but wanted something cute. Curtain shopping is really tedious and at times frustrating. I couldn't find anything that I absolutely fell in love with. I happened to be shopping around at Joann fabrics and found this fabric. I fell in love! to top it off,  had a 40% off  coupon, and a 50% of coupon so I bought this beautiful flower fabric and a polka dot one to match.
This is one of the windows I need a curtain for. Both of my windows measure the same. I measured after I had my fabric, but it would have been better to measure it before I got my fabric.

I took my paper tape and measured it across from one side of the trim to the other. I also measured it from the top of the trim to the very bottom. My window measured 43.5" high and 37" wide.
I had 1 yard of fabric that was 44 inches wide so thankfully it was perfect since I didn't measure before I bought my fabric.

I didn't have to cut my fabric because I wanted the width longer, and after I hemmed it all up, my length would be perfect too.

First, I folded one side over 1/4 of an inch. I didn't iron this down, I just eyed it all the way. If you prefer to iron, that's fine. After I was done with that side, I folded it over again another 1/4 of an inch and sewed it all the way down. I did all 4 sides just like this.

I used some extra fabric I had to  make the casing for the curtain rod. I measured from one side of the hem to the other then added an inch.

For my casing I measured down 2.5 inches and my length ended up being 43".

After I cut my casing, I ironed both ends in 1/2 an inch and 1 side 1/4 of an inch.

I measured down 2 inches because I wanted a little ruffle at the top. I used my fabric marker to mark all the way across.

I put the side of my casing that I didn't fold down on the line just made. Following along this line, I sewed it all the way across.

The top of the curtain is on this side

After I sewed down that whole side, I flipped the casing down and sewed down the side we ironed down earlier.

I know the picture didn't turn out well, but here it is all done. I love how it turned out!